Engineering Project Manager
Ocado Engineering Video
We are looking to recruit an experienced Project Manager with an engineering background to join our team with a focus on delivering automation related projects. Our Project Managers are responsible for establishing and leading the development and delivery of complex and challenging products involving a and meeting cross-functional strategic and operational objectives to support growth, reduce operating cost and improve efficiency for Ocado’s 24/7 high speed, highly automated customer fulfilment centres.
The Engineering Project Manager has the technical responsibility for the delivery of projects within budget, to schedule and specification and will possess expertise needed to cover the full project lifecycle as well as methodologies.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Project management – Working with the legal team to put in place the appropriate contractual agreements with suppliers and managing the supplier within the agreed contractual process to deliver projects to agreed timescales, resource and budget
- Translation of business requirements into an engineering requirement, in a fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Vendor selection to identify new suppliers and partners capable of supporting the delivery of innovative system and technology.
- Vendor management of external suppliers, test houses, consultancies and experts from requirements through contract, build, acceptance , test and transfer to manufacture
- Matrix management of appropriate internal resource and expertise to support innovation and delivery
To be considered for this role you will need:
- Risk management – identifying opportunities to accelerate development or reduce risk through the use of modelling and simulation, proof of concept stages, test rigs and prototypes
- Communication Skills – appropriate commissioning of data capture followed by analysis and presentation of results to inform the stage gate decision process
- Stakeholder management through clear and regular communication of development cycle progress, risk , risk mitigation and roadmap
- Health and Safety – Ensuring all projects meet appropriate health and safety legislation
- Transfer to manufacture – where appropriate ensuring products are suitable for transfer to manufacture and supporting the transfer
- You will have a BS degree or higher in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering, or a related field, with coursework in statics, dynamics and strength of materials.
- Experience in project managing large projects and/or a portfolio of multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrable experience of successful delivery of complex multidiscipline projects or products
- Ability and experience to understand and interpret structural analyses, structural dynamics, loads analysis and vibration testing and the consequential detailed engineering reports.
- Experience of managing external suppliers, contractors, test houses and consultancies to deliver projects or products
- Experience reviewing and managing contracts would be an advantage
- Experience in CE marking or NRTL approval of product and the associated standards and legislation is a plus
- Recognised project management qualification such as APM, PMI or Prince2 is a plus
- Able to act as the project technical lead.
The main place of work is currently at sites throughout Hertfordshire, but there may be a requirement to work on the development of projects at other UK and international locations.