As an Electrical Engineer in the Technology Department:
- Contribute to the upgrade of the PS and SPS kicker systems.
- As a project engineer, take over the responsibility for management and follow up of dedicated upgrade and consolidation projects.
- Carry out analogue circuit simulations as well as numerical field calculations to produce engineering specifications for system upgrades and future pulsed power systems for the LHC injectors.
- Conduct optimization work on existing pulse forming systems, perform measurements on test platforms and follow up the assembly of spare units initially together with experienced CERN staff.
- Contribute to the integration of GTO switch stacks as well as hands on measurements and validation tests in the laboratory.
- Reinforce the project planning and supervise the deployment of the upgraded SPS dump kicker system in the SPS accelerator during the next long shutdown.
- Establish operational procedures and safety documentation.
- After an introduction period under the guidance of an experienced senior engineer, you will take over operational responsibilities for a dedicated fast-pulsed magnet system. You will also contribute to the group's standby service during operational periods.
Master's degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience in the fields of electrical engineering, power electronics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies:
- Demonstrated experience in analogue circuit simulations and design of power electronics and resonant circuits.
- Demonstrated experience in carrying out measurements using an oscilloscope. In addition, experience with Vector Network Analysers will be an asset.
- Initial experience in finite element computation for electromagnetic fields.
- Experience in writing technical specifications.
- Experience in project management and work with industry or external laboratories will be an asset.
- Analysis and modelling in power electronics.
- Electromagnetic calculation and modelling.
- Design of pulsed power systems.
- Electro-mechanical construction: of pulse-forming networks and high-voltage switches.
- Commissioning, maintenance and operation of power systems: including conducting measurements on pulsed power systems.
- Spoken and written English; ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Deadline 10.10.2017. We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years.
Please visit our website for more information on the Eligibility and employment conditions.