Applied Physicist for Surface Analysis
Applied Physicist for Surface Analysis in the Technology Department (TE).
As an applied physicist for surface analysis in the TE-VSC-SCC Section, you will:
- Play a leading role in the operation of the surface analysis systems in the dedicated laboratories of the section (XPS, SEY) and provide the interpreted results in technical reports to collaborators.
- Give advice in order to apply the best analytical methods for a required subject by collaborating with the teams in charge of chemical, physical-chemical and microscopy analysis.
- Take part in the R&D projects involving surface analysis and surface characterization for applications in the LHC, injectors and experiments of CERN.
- Coordinate the improvement of the existing facilities of surface analysis.
- Promote the collaborations with external institutes to access to surface analytical techniques which are not presently available at CERN.
- Write technical reports and scientific publications.
PhD (Doctorate) in the fields of physics or material science, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies:
- Proven experience in operation of surface analysis instrumentation and surface characterization by electron spectroscopies.
- Demonstrated experience in surface analysis data handling and interpretation.
- Previous experience in a research and development environment.
- Proven experience in development of instrumentation to be used in ultrahigh vacuum.
- Surface analysis: knowledge in fundamental and applied surface science.
- Knowledge of surface properties.
- Knowledge of materials for UHV technology: knowledge of instrumentation for UHV technology.
- Good knowledge of English is required; ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Application deadline 18.10.2017
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Please visit our website for more information on Edibility and employment conditions.