Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Warwick Head Office
We’ve connected millions of people safely, reliably and efficiently to the energy they use since 1990. But the world has grown, becoming more urban, complex and connected than ever before. So we’ve changed too. We know we can’t stand still or be complacent, so we’re planning, innovating and working to remain as vital and relevant as ever before. Join us and you’ll help us build the energy systems of tomorrow. Join us and be at the heart of energy.
The Project Development function within Network Management is at the heart of the Electricity Transmission business, developing and designing new infrastructure for our UK electricity transmission network in collaboration with major design and construction partners.
We are currently recruiting for a Development Engineer, who will lead on the development of a broad portfolio of investments to adequately prepare us to construct some of the largest electricity projects we’ve ever embarked on. You’ll lead large cross-functional teams of internal and external stakeholders in order to drive decision making through a broad range of project types covering multiple engineering disciplines, co-ordinating design activity to ensure projects are lean, safe and fit for purpose.
You’ll also have the opportunity to both lead and support the development and implementation of improvement initiatives aimed at helping National Grid enhance our competitiveness and improve our efficiency.
About the Role
- Take full ownership for Producing Project Execution Plans in line with National Grid’s Network Development Process;
- Deliver strong customer satisfaction through positive engagement and incorporation of customer needs in developed solutions;
- Actively contribute to portfolio management working groups to ensure that projects deliver to changing business objectives;
- Produce competent, accurate project Estimated Cost of Completion (ECC) forecasts and profiles on a monthly basis for approval, using the most current project information available;
- Prepare and actively manage a development phase budget for all projects reflective of the minimum cost needed to produce Project Execution Plans that are delivered right first time, on time and in full;
- Demonstrably reduce project hazards and risks, establishing clear and appropriate mitigation for residual hazards ahead of project delivery;
- Deliver safety leadership through the SHESQ evaluation of site survey activities during development;
- Ensure that developed construction programmes are lean and efficient and agreed with key stakeholders.
- Educated to degree level, or with a relevant professional qualification;
- Ideally come from a construction or engineering background and have experience working in a similar role;
- Knowledge of Electricity Transmission construction projects is highly desirable, while knowledge of complex business projects is essential;
- Strong leadership skills and experience of team working will be key to your success in this role, as you’ll often lead others remotely;
- You’ll use your strong communication skills to engage stakeholders, forging and maintaining relationships internally and externally;
- With your strong drive for results, you’ll develop a wide internal and external perspective, using your knowledge to drive improvements to business processes;
- We expect a good level of business and commercial acumen, strong project management skills, and a passion for process excellence in our successful candidate.
Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards, we also support them to be the best they can be. Accredited training programmes and personal development courses are a part of life here. We value and encourage diversity of gender, race and thought, whatever your background. By helping you shape your career and get to where you want to go, we feel we can create an engaged workforce, which is exactly what we need to achieve our vision.
To learn more about working at National Grid and applying for this position, click on the ‘Apply’ button.