2018 Intern Mechanical Engineer- 12 months
We’re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. By combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create, we’re transforming the world around us.
We are recruiting for an intern mechanical engineer to join our Land and Air Systems team based out of our Belfast site for a 12 month placement. This role sits within our Thales Advanced Weapon Systems designs, developing and manufacturing cutting edge, missile system solutions to armed forces the world over. With sites in Belfast, Crossgar and Thorney Island, the company specialises in lightweight missiles and the integration of weapon systems into tactical land and airborne platforms.
As a mechanical engineer, you will work on the design and development of innovative technical solutions that meet customer requirements and business needs.
Assessment centre dates: 13 November – 14 December across multiple locations
Working within an Integrated Project Team, your role will require participation in one or more of the following mechanical engineering activities:
- Creation of innovative design concepts for missile sub-systems, launch systems and vehicle integration solutions.
- Generation of detailed drawings for the manufacture of high precision machined components.
- Generation of assembly drawings of electro/optical/mechanical systems and sub-systems.
- Interaction with stress, aerodynamics, manufacturing, procurement and supply base to ensure optimised, robust, cost effective designs.
- Configuration management of all design models and drawings using SmarTeam and PALMA.
Skills, qualifications and experience
You will be studying for a degree in a relevant engineering or technical discipline (Electronics, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace, Physics, Maths, Control Engineering, Systems Engineering).
You may have the opportunity to travel to Thales and non-Thales sites throughout the UK during your internship.
In line with Thales' Baseline Security requirements, candidates will be asked to provide evidence of identity, eligibility to work in the UK and employment and/or education history for up to three years. Some vacancies may require full Security Clearance which can require further evidence to be provided. For further details of the evidence required to apply for Baseline and Security Clearance please refer to the Defence Business Services National Security Vetting (DBS NSV) Agency.