Senior Design Engineer
Every second a plane takes off with UTC Aerospace Systems equipment on-board. From space exploration and defence to today’s more electric, more intelligent, more integrated aircraft – our systems make modern flight possible. And by “make it possible,” we mean: we start it, power it, control it, ventilate it, quieten it, land it, stop it and monitor it. We have more than 41,000 employees across 150 countries working at the forefront of technological innovation. Thanks to their efforts, our global reach and our market-leading position, we do big things no one else can do.
Engine & Control Systems (E&CS) provides complete jet engine controls and accessory packages. From the fuel tank to the ignitors, we have the resources and expertise to design, qualify, and manufacture first in class central systems for our aerospace engine customers.
The Senior Design Engineer is responsible for new product designs at UTAS-Marston whilst identifying opportunities to improve existing products. .
• Interpret customer specifications to generate compliant design solutions for heat transfer and fluids management products.
• Development of new designs from concept through to full production.
• Generate 3D cad data and engineering drawings using Siemens NX.
• Co-ordination and development of off shore engineering resource.
• Work closely with the manufacturing function to ensure cost compliant and robust design configurations are achieved.
• Carry out tolerance stack up calculations to verify assembly and interface conformance.
• Oversee and implement engineering design changes.
• Mentoring of team members - design engineer, industrial placement students and apprentices
• Prepare material to support and participate in engineering design reviews.
• Generate engineering documentation to support programme deliverables.
• Support business development bid and proposal activities as required.
• Work closely with stress and thermal teams to produce optimised designs.
• Support continuous improvement activities as required (ACE operating system).
• Undertake technical investigation using RRCA techniques.
• Support Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis generation to facilitate robust product design.
• Liaison with customers and suppliers to resolve product design issues.
• Participate in the creation of engineering design standards.
• Engineering signatory, drawings, documents and non-conforming parts.
• Educated to degree level in a mechanical or aerospace engineering discipline.
• Significant aerospace design experience.
• Siemens NX proficient, modeling, drafting and assemblies (fully conversant in robust parametric modeling techniques).
• Comfortable challenging existing methods and suggesting improvements.
• Understands and can apply geometric dimensioning and tolerancing.
• Teamcenter PLM experience (desirable).
• Experience of fabrication, brazing and welding assembly processes (desirable).
• Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
• SAP (desirable).
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Flexible working attitude.
• Willingness to travel overseas to support company business.
This position may involve access to export controlled information and hardware where an export license would be required for compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Employment will be subject to satisfactory security checks, export license approval, and if required, completion of a non-disclosure agreement.
From time to time the successful candidate may be required by the Company to perform other tasks, which are not included in the above description, but are within the capabilities of the individual and where necessary training will be given.