Junior Information Scientist
Junior / Graduate Information Scientist
Circa £25,000 to £29,000 per annum
Two roles available!
Are you a Physics, Computing or Engineering graduate?
Are you passionate about information science with fantastic attention to detail?
The IET are seeking Graduates who are looking to kick start a career in Information Science. Inspec is one of the most definitive abstract and indexing databases. It contains over 17 million abstracts and specialised indexing to the world's quality research literature in the fields of physics, computing and engineering.
Your role on the Inspec Production Team will be to index and select material for The IET’s Inspec Database, ensuring that the appropriate review, selection and indexing of material is completed for the Inspec bibliographic database. This role is known internally as an ‘Inspec Indexed Content Indexer’.
The successful candidate will have a willingness to learn on the job and a genuine interest in information and semantic data. You will be comfortable following processes and enjoy performing cyclical tasks. The ability to use your initiative and decision making skills for data classification processes is essential. First class written and spoken communication skills are a must!
This is primarily an office based role with the opportunity to assist on projects to improve processes or deliver new Inspec products and services.
Along with a very competitive starting salary, this role offers full training and fantastic progression opportunities across the team.
To find out more about the Inspec product google ‘IET Inspec’!
Please send in your CV as soon as you are ready – we are actively recruiting and may draw the role to close when suitable applications are received.
Main Duties and Responsibilities (summary)
- To index and select material for the Inspec Database in accordance with agreed policy.
- To assist with responses to queries sent by the offshore organisations.
- To assist the Indexed Content Team Leaders and development teams to maintain and improve the system, its functionality, and the working tools
- To assist with semantic enrichment processes, and data modelling and analytics to support derivative Inspec products and services
- To analyse and provide data for internal teams to provide business insight to ensure continued growth of the Inspec products
- To assist with projects as required to improve processes or deliver new Inspec products and services
- Education to degree level in scientific or technical subject.
- Subject specialist knowledge and expertise.
- Ability to work closely with both internal and external teams.
- Able to work under pressure in a complex production environment providing knowledge and guidance, using initiative and decision-making skills.
- Excellent self-organisational skills.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Strong team player.
- A positive attitude with an eye for accuracy and attention to detail.
- Able to communicate and liaise at all levels both internally and externally.
- Multi-subject specialist knowledge.
- Working knowledge of MS Office
- Knowledge of natural language processing, ontologies, semantic data, data analysis, taxonomies