Airfield Engineering Electrical Technician
- Permanent Role
- Grade - TME15
Heathrow is the UK's premier international airport and one of the world’s major hub airports, flying people for business, tourism and to visit friends and relatives around the world. We provide the facilities and services for over 80 airlines flying around 75 million passengers a year to over 180 destinations worldwide and play an important economic role connecting the whole of the UK to global growth.
As one of the largest single site employers there are over 76,000 people working at Heathrow, for over 400 companies, working together to achieve our vision of giving passengers the best airport service in the world. Heathrow is like a small city – fast moving, diverse, forward thinking – right at the heart of the nation’s global connections and with a world of opportunity.
Deliver a safe high quality, reliable engineering and maintenance service to the assets of the Airfield Engineering team at Heathrow Airport. This includes completion of work in accordance with legislative standards, best practice, company polices and processes, whilst placing the passenger and customer at the heart of everything we do, making every journey better.
The job requires strong electrical knowledge to be able to adapt to the specialist asset base which includes:
- Aeronautical Ground Lighting Hardware and Control
- Fixed Electrical Ground Power
- Stand Entry Guidance
- Electrical Substations and Infrastructure
- Undertake planned and reactive maintenance tasks on assets in accordance with allocated target dates to maximise availability and meet agreed service levels
- Continually improve asset performance by investigating faults or poor performing assets and implement appropriate remedial action
- Timely completion of work orders and accurate capture of maintenance history (work orders, spares information and similar) and update other records to meet business, regulatory & statutory requirements
- Operate safely at all times. Adhere to procedures and proactively spot hazards to reduce risk and ensure a safe working environment and playing an active part of driving a positive health and safety culture for all
- Coach or train others, including colleagues and apprentices to share learning and best practice amongst the team
- Utilisation of current and emerging technologies to support the business driving efficiency, including mobile devices and software
- Undertake all duties with consideration of asset management best practice including working towards best whole life cost, collecting, collating and reporting on asset condition and identification of improvements to maintenance practice.
- Responsible for the identification and timely ordering of spares and replacement defective components as required enabling effective resolution of tasks to enable closure, within skill set
- Flexible in approach to working across a variety of Engineering locations and departments as the business need requires at Heathrow Engineering
- Be responsible for personal appearance, including PPE and work wear including ordering of work wear and PPE through company processes
- Responsible for good attendance at work and accurate completion of timesheets, including attendance at team meetings, briefings etc
- Responsible for the safe and effective acceptance handover of minor works or local project areas as required. Oversee and audit quality and standards of contractors’ work, under the direction of the Team Leader or Duty Engineer
- Responsible for ensuring skills and competencies required to perform technician duties are maintained through identification of requirements, attendance at training courses and participation in competency management activities
- Provide an excellent customer experience by communicating with key stakeholders to update as required using various mediums available
- Participate in Technician Performance Development Review (TPDR) process.
- Engage with and utilising visual management as a tool to deliver high standard and performance levels.
Qualifications & Experience
- City and Guilds, NVQ or ONC/HNC all at Level 3 or higher in appropriate Engineering discipline. Core disciplines being Electrical and Electrical/Electronic
- Accredited Technician apprenticeship scheme or equivalent experience
- Full UK driving licence is desirable, including the ability to obtain and maintain airside licences and permits
- Completion of relevant & related skills training.
- Deliver Results - Works to high standards; takes real pride in doing a good job. Understands key goals/ standards/procedures & follows them properly. Takes responsibility for making decisions and getting things done
- Put Passengers & Customer First - Takes a pride in delivering high levels of passenger/ customer service. Makes constructive suggestions to improve the standard and quality of service
- Commercial Focus - Understands team targets and KPIs. Aware of own impact on team KPIs/ business finances and how money can be saved or wasted. Notices & reports issues that could create a poor impression of LHR
- Take the Lead - Sets a positive example of professional behaviour for colleagues – others look up to them. Frequently shares own experience to help less experienced colleagues get up to speed
- Work Together - Considers own impact on colleagues’ work. Communicates with other teams and is considerate of their impact on that team’s work. Takes personal responsibility to complete their tasks
- Continuous Improvement - Asks constructive questions about why things are done in a certain way. Confident to challenge when something is wrong/ not working properly.
Our plans are ambitious ones. And our people equally so. That’s why we recognise and value the contribution that everyone makes. In return, we offer great benefits. These include our employee assistance programme, pension, healthcare and travel offers, plus a wide range of development opportunities to take your career further.