Big Data Engineer
QinetiQ comprises teams of dedicated people; experts in defence, aerospace, security and related markets. We draw on our extensive technical knowledge and intellectual property to provide the know-how and support to solve some of the world’s most challenging problems. Our people make the critical difference to customers by providing unique approaches to problem solving. Why don’t you join some of the world’s finest scientific and technical minds and help us make tomorrow work today?
Job description/Person specification
Based in London we are looking for security cleared professionals to work within a Scaled Agile team developing a Big Data analytics ecosystem. Experience working in a customer-facing role is desirable, with the ability to openly communicate, think creatively, collaborate, and influence when necessary.
This role will require the holder to hold a SC security clearance. The holder will also need to apply for a DV level of clearance, for which you will normally need to be a British Citizen and have had to have been a resident in the UK for a minimum of 10 years.
Big Data Engineer/Developer
Overall Purpose of the Job
• Designing and implementing software components within a Big Data architecture.
• Cleansing and modelling structured and unstructured data.
• Looking for opportunities to further improve the software products.
• Accountable to the Solution Architect for production of good quality software components.
• Accountable for production of cleansing and modelling techniques.
• Accountable for working with the Integration and Test engineers to produce testable and tested components.
• Accountable to the team for being creative and finding opportunities to incorporate new ideas into the products.
• Maintaining consistency and quality of the components being developed in a high pace, leading-edge environment.
• Cleansing and modelling complex data with subtle relationships – eliminating unwanted artefacts but not disturbing the underlying relationships.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience Required
• Qualified to at least University Honours Degree in a science, engineering or maths subject or equivalent.
• Experienced and knowledgeable in Big Data technologies for ingesting, transforming, storing and serving data at scale, such as Hadoop, MapReduce, Spark, Hive, Solr, ElasticSearch, NoSQL databases, Flume, Sqoop.
Software development experience in languages including Java, Python, Bash
• Experienced and knowledgeable in Open Source techniques and tooling for Big Data.
• Experience in Java.
• Experience in design, development, test and integration of quality software. Interested in emerging big data tools and techniques, with your finger on the pulse of what is happening in the world community.
• Enthusiastic and willing to work flexibly to be part of a high-performing team.
• Ideally DV cleared, minimum is UK national with SC and willing to undergo government vetting to achieve DV.
• Excellent verbal and written technical English communications skills.
Desirable – Experience of some or all of the following:
• Experience of working in an Agile team.
• Experience in Scala.
• Familiarity with a DevOps environment.
• Experience of working in a consultancy role, focused on customer needs and requirements or equivalent engineering role with customer/stakeholder exposure and influence.
• Experience across the full product development lifecycle from release to support.
• More general systems engineering design and implementation processes
Please click the Apply button which will take you to our careers page where you can find out more about us, the role and apply.