Product Engineer - Mechanical
COMMERCIAL OPERATIONS DIRECTORATE
INNOVATION TO COMMERCIALISATION
PRODUCT ENGINEER (MECHANICAL)
FIXED TERM CONTRACT UNTIL 31 OCTOBER 2019
OS9 - £33,518 – £36,613 PER ANNUM
The role has been created to enable delivery of the Innovation to Commercialisation (I2C) Project following the University of Chester’s successful application to the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) to support Small to Medium size Enterprises (SMEs) in developing and commercialising new ideas for products, processes and services; from initial concept; through development and validation; proof of concept; prototyping and testing. The Innovation to Commercialisation Project is located at the University of Chester - Thornton Science Park campus.
The role holder will join an experienced team of Engineers specialising in Electronics, Mechanical and Software Engineering; under the supervision of the I2C Senior Project Engineer.
The I2C Programme has bespoke facilities, at Thornton Science Park known as The I2C Design & Innovation Hub; where the role holder will be based and which houses a range of state of the art prototyping equipment and a suite of industry standard design and development software.
The role holder will focus on:
- Working in collaboration with colleagues and external SME businesses to develop their innovative ideas against an agreed scope of work with defined deliverables and timescales.
- Performing technical appraisal and analysis of results and participating in the innovative development of novel technologies.
- Maintaining a highly professional and confidential approach to beneficiary, Faculty and third party engagements.
- Efficiently and effectively operating a suite of software tools to assist in the design and development of mechanical components and electro / mechanical devices.
- Producing project documentation; e.g. 2D and 3D diagrams, process control diagrams, technical manuals / reports etc.
- Conversion of design files for component manufacture using CNC machine tools, Additive Manufacturing, Waterjet and Laser cutting equipment.
- Building and testing electro / mechanical prototypes.
- Operating a wide range of test and measurement equipment to accurately assess performance and compliance to standards.
- Developing and maintaining Project Areas and equipment to high standards of laboratory and workshop practice along with Health and Safety compliance.
You will be educated to degree level or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or a closely associated discipline.
You will have specialist knowledge or ‘hands-on’ experience of Computer Aided Design software to produce Engineering Drawings; Design for Manufacture; production of CNC files for machining and 3D printing.
You will have a good working knowledge of workshop practice, machine tool operation, precision measurement and prototype construction.
The successful candidate will be a strong team player, and possess excellent computer literacy, problem solving, communication and interpersonal skills.
This post has been part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
For an informal discussion regarding this post please contact Barry Gleave (Senior Project Engineer) on +44 (0) 1244 512491 / email@example.com
Candidates may download further details from our website by clicking APPLY now which will take you through to our Online Recruitment Website, please quote reference number RA001962b.
Closing date: 26th February 2018