Product Engineer - Electronics
Salary: £33,518 - £36,613 per annum
Location: Thornton Science Park
Job Type: Full-Time Fixed Term Contract
Vacancy Group: Support Staff
Closing Date: 26/02/2018
Date Posted: 12/02/2018
The role has been created to enable delivery of the Innovation to Commercialisation (I2C) Project following the University of Chester’s successful application to the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) to support Small to Medium size Enterprises (SMEs) in developing and commercialising new ideas for products, processes and services; from initial concept; through development and validation; proof of concept; prototyping and testing. The Innovation to Commercialisation Project is located at the University of Chester - Thornton Science Park campus.
The role holder will join an experienced team of Engineers specialising in Electronics, Mechanical and Software Engineering; under the supervision of the I2C Senior Project Engineer.
The I2C Programme has bespoke facilities, at Thornton Science Park known as The I2C Design & Innovation Hub; where the role holder will be based and which houses a range of state of the art prototyping equipment and a suite of industry standard design and development software.
The role holder will focus on:
- Working in collaboration with colleagues and external SME businesses to develop their innovative ideas against an agreed scope of work with defined deliverables and timescales.
- Performing technical appraisal and analysis of results and participating in the innovative development of novel technologies.
- Maintaining a highly professional and confidential approach to beneficiary, Faculty and third party engagements.
- Efficiently and effectively operating a suite of software tools to assist in the design and development of electronic circuits, control systems and computer interfaces.
- Producing project documentation; e.g. circuit diagrams, technical manuals, flow control diagrams, programming manuals, printed circuit board and instrumentation diagrams etc.
- Interpreting design files and component specifications for component procurement.
- Building and testing electronic systems and electro / mechanical prototypes.
- Operating a wide range of test and measurement equipment to accurately assess performance and compliance to standards.
- Developing and maintaining Project Areas and equipment to high standards of laboratory practice along with Health and Safety compliance.
You will be educated to degree level or equivalent in Electronic Engineering or a closely associated discipline.
You will have specialist knowledge or ‘hands-on’ experience of Computer Aided Design software to produce circuit diagrams, circuit simulation and printed circuit board layouts.
You will have a good working knowledge of analogue and digital electronics including microprocessors and computer interfaces.
The successful candidate will be a strong team player, and possess excellent computer literacy, problem solving, communication and interpersonal skills.
This post has been part-funded by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
For an informal discussion regarding this post please contact Barry Gleave (Senior Project Engineer) on +44 (0) 1244 512491 / firstname.lastname@example.org
**To apply for this post please download & complete the "Employment and Education Details Form" by clicking Apply.
Please ensure that you clearly evidence all criteria assessed, wholly or partly at application stage, within your application form.