Associate Editor – Physical Sciences
PLOS is a non-profit publisher and advocacy organization with a mission to transform research communication. We are currently looking for an Associate Editor to join our Cambridge office.
As Associate Editor (Physical Sciences), you will be part of a group of editors responsible for overseeing the editorial process for submissions within the Physical sciences & Engineering division under the PLOS ONE scope. The Associate Editor oversees handling submissions through the review process and editorial decisions for manuscripts within the subject areas covered by your team. You report to the Division Editor.
We are looking for candidates with a background in the physical sciences or engineering and would particularly welcome candidates with expertise in applied physics, computer science, nanomaterials, materials science or chemistry.
- Oversee manuscripts within the Physical sciences & Engineering through the editorial process to ensure fast and thorough review. This includes vetting of submission to ensure they are appropriate for external review, monitoring of submissions throughout the process if they require additional staff oversight, and seeing any concerns to a resolution
- Oversee editorial decisions
- Advise on assignment of an Academic Editors or reviewers to a manuscript, as necessary
- Provide support and training to Academic Editors
- Provide input into recruitment of new Academic Editors
- Assist in the development of editorial policies and processes
- Represent PLOS ONE at scientific meetings
- Provide input into initiatives to curate and promote contents in the subject areas of oversight: Collections, Channels, press activities or the everyONE blog
Qualifications and experience
- Experience in a scientific research environment, strong familiarity with the scholarly literature is essential
- A relevant degree in the physical sciences or engineering, PhD qualification desirable but not essential
- Highly organized and efficient and with a strong problem-solving ability
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and oral
- Excellent analytical skills, familiarity with peer review, editorial decision making and publishing standards for original research publications
PLOS (founded as the Public Library of Science) is a non-profit publisher and advocacy organization located in San Francisco, CA, USA and Cambridge, UK. PLOS makes scientific research openly available to everyone online, free of embargoes and other restrictions. Our journals accelerate discovery by implementing innovative approaches to the assessment, communication and reuse of research.
PLOS strives to recruit talented professionals from many backgrounds and disciplines who share a passion for our mission. We offer a dynamic start up culture and open, collaborative work environment together with a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
If you’re passionate about making a difference in the dissemination of scientific research, explore PLOS for the next move in your career. For more information about PLOS, visit www.plos.org
Please apply on our company’s website via the Apply button.
Please note you must include a Covering Letter and CV to be considered for this role.
No phone calls or visits, please. Principals only – email from recruiters will be ignored.
PLOS is an equal opportunity employer.
The aim of our policy is to ensure that no job applicant or employee or agency or other worker or client or visitor receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of sex (including pregnancy and gender reassignment), marital or civil partner status, sexual orientation, age, religion or belief, colour, race, nationality, ethnic origin, or mental or physical disability. When making recruitment and employment decisions, PLOS does not discriminate unlawfully on the basis of sex, marital or civil partner status, sexual orientation, race, age, colour, nationality, religion or belief, ethnic or national origin, disability or any condition other than that person’s suitability. Our management is dedicated to ensuring the fulfilment of this policy, with respect to recruitment, placement, promotion, transfer, demotion, termination, recruitment advertising, pay and other forms of compensation, training and general treatment during employment.