Senior Software Applications Engineer
Leonardo is a global high-tech company and one of the key players in Aerospace, Defence and Security.
In the UK, Leonardo operates from 6 main sites (Basildon, Bristol, Edinburgh, Luton, Southampton and Yeovil) employing around 7,000 highly skilled people, 67% of whom hold highly skilled positions. The company makes a significant contribution to the UK economy with revenues of over £2bn, around 50% of which are in export. Our products and capabilities range from manufacturing world-leading helicopters, the design and integration of radars, avionics and advanced targeting systems, the provision of secure communications and cyber security solutions through to development of cutting-edge optronics that sees us support sectors as diverse as defence, documentaries and sports.
Senior Software Applications Engineer
Southampton, Bristol, Basildon or Luton
A senior software applications engineer is needed to join a small but growing team of developers, data engineers and UX designers within the Support and Service Solutions (S3) line of business. S3 operates across all of the main UK sites, providing ground-breaking and invaluable support solutions to our customers and is part of the Airborne and Space Systems Division. The team is in the early stages of an ambitious and exciting digitisation project, aimed at not only improving the effectiveness of current business, but also allowing creation of new opportunities, with the potential to grow across the company and globally. We are looking for innovative, self-motivated individuals to join us in creating the systems, algorithms, and applications that will allow us to provide information to our customers (both internal and external) however they want to receive it: from desktops to the cloud and onto mobile devices, from live streams to automated decision making.
Key Responsibility Areas
- Work in a team to develop algorithms and applications that take disparate data, and transform it into insightful, accessible information for the end user.
- Develop UI features and requirements
- Test and evaluate your design with end users
- Propose improvements that would enhance the user experience
- Software configuration management
- Ensure re-use and modularity across any solutions proposed
- Personally coach and mentor junior engineers
Skills, Qualifications and Knowledge required
- Typically degree qualified, or equivalent, in a relevant engineering or science subject
- Extensive experience in a mainstream object-oriented language, e.g. Java, Python
- Good software architecture sensibilities
- Excellent working knowledge of the software development lifecycle and agile methodologies
- Self-motivated with an aptitude for problem solving and an ability to drive difficult issues to conclusion
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience of design of micro-services and APIs (REST, JSON)
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience working in a cloud environment
- Ability to build user interfaces on iOS and/or Android platforms
- Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or ad hoc basis will be required
- This role can be based on any UK site, but the collaboration centre for the team is in Southampton, so it will be necessary to spend at least a few days each week on that site.
- As S3 is a geographically dispersed line of business, the role will include travel within the UK, and possibly also abroad, to support customer meetings or demonstration activities. In some cases you will also be expected to stay overnight as part of this travel.
At Leonardo, we believe that our employees work best when they are able to achieve balance between work and other aspects of life. That’s why we are committed to designing policies and developing a working environment that promote the benefits and well-being of all our employees. Our benefits include:
- Annual leave: We offer 25 days holiday plus bank holidays.
- Generous relocation package: We offer an excellent package to ease the move for people relocating for work.
- Award-winning pension scheme: Our multi-award-winning pension scheme includes generous employer contribution.
- Flexible working and additional flex-leave schemes: We offer our employees the time and flexibility they need to enjoy a balanced life.
- Salary sacrifice schemes including childcare voucher scheme: We encourage working parents to save money on childcare by offering them several advantageous facilities and vouchers.
- Maternity leave: We have very flexible working arrangements and advantageous Maternity Policy
- Paternity, parental, adoption and dependent leave: We care to ensure that we consider every aspect of your needs. All these policies are covered as part of our Work-Life Balance Policy.
- Learning & Development: We help assess your development needs in line with the role you wish to perform, and allow you to further develop your knowledge.
- Reserve Forces: We provide positive support to the Reserve Forces and allow employees who are Reservists to take additional time off.
If you believe you have the knowledge and experience to enhance our team, and would value the opportunity of working in a flexible and supportive environment across a variety of exciting domains, please upload your CV and cover letter below, once submitted your application is sent directly to the Leonardo HR Team.
You can email Kay Alexander the HR Manager for this role for an informal discussion - email@example.com
Security Clearance requirements – please consider before applying
You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance for the role applied for and meet a minimum of 5 years permanent residency in the UK.