Senior Software Engineer
Intel’s software team in Shannon is hiring. We are looking for a fast learning, highly skilled software engineer with strong C skills and experience in open source development. The position offers the opportunity to work with some of the best engineers in the business, and join a high-performing global software team. This award-winning team has steadily grown in size and reputation over the past 5 years, delivering outstanding data plane software innovation to the market.
The role involves:
- Working in a collaborative, distributed environment with a global engineering team to build new features at large-scale.
- Developing open source networking software.
- Contributing to the Data Plane Development Kit (DPDK) - one of the world’s largest and most active open source network software communities.
- Participating in the full development lifecycle – from concept to release.
- Researching, Designing, building, and testing libraries, APIs, and software applications, primarily in C.
- Performance tuning and optimisation, ensuring the best possible performance is built-in.
- Upholding best practices in engineering, security, and designing for performance.
What does our team offer you?
- Work on cutting edge technologies in a massive growth area for the business.
- Immerse yourself in a world-class software engineering culture.
- Be proud of your work: ownership, autonomy and recognition.
- Gain hands-on expertise from industry leaders in performance tuning tools and techniques.
- Time to deep-dive into your areas of interest to develop your expertise.
- Extensive travel opportunities.
- Professional development – external training and qualifications are encouraged and supported.
- Mentoring opportunities.
- Opportunities to research, innovate, and patent ideas and concepts.
- Enhance your professional credibility in open source communities.
- The opportunity to represent your work at industry conferences.
- A highly competitive compensation package.
Does most or all of the below describe you? If so, we should talk.
- You like to collaborate with global teams – working with engineers, product managers, and management located in multiple locations.
- You enjoy teaching and mentoring other developers to be successful.
- You like formulating new ideas and bringing new software innovation to the market.
- You have a desire to grow your skills and learn from those around you.
- You have a strong engineering background and are interested in networking.
- You have 5+ years industry experience designing, building, testing & shipping high-performance software.
- You have developed open source software at scale.
- You have 3-5 years’ experience of Linux toolchain: Git, GCC, Gerrit, git-send-email, GDB, etc.
- You demand the highest quality standards from yourself and others.
- You have a drive for results and strong customer focus.
- You have hands-on industry experience with Agile and Scrum development methodologies.
- You hold a Bachelor’s degree in Software Development, Computer Science, Engineering, Maths, Physics or a related field.
Bonus territory if:
- You are familiar with L2/L3 Networking.
- You have experience with Network Function Virtualisation/Software Defined Networking (NFV/SDN).
- You know network applications such as: BRAS, vEPC, vBNG, VNF, OVS.
- You have experience with the Kernel development workflow and/or the Data Plane Development Kit (DPDK).
- You are an advocate of DevOps and enjoy automating engineering processes.
- You have a demonstrated record of thought leadership and technical innovation.
Some of the things you will work on:
- Open source networking software – as used in some of the world’s largest cloud, communications and telco companies.
- Rapid prototyping of solutions to customer use cases in high performance networking.
- Software supporting intel’s latest silicon roadmap and cutting edge products.
- High performance network stacks.
Inside this Business Group
The Data Center Group (DCG) is at the heart of Intel’s transformation from a PC company to a company that runs the cloud and billions of smart, connected computing devices. The data center is the underpinning for every data-driven service, from artificial intelligence to 5G to high-performance computing, and DCG delivers the products and technologies—spanning software, processors, storage, I/O, and networking solutions—that fuel cloud, communications, enterprise, and government data centers around the world.