IA Firmware / BIOS SW Engineer
Create the technology of tomorrow
Creating and extending computing technology to connect and enrich the lives of every person on Earth--that's our vision, is it yours?
Step inside our world and you’ll find one brilliant mind after another working together in a spirit of collaboration that is simply contagious. Through this shared dedication—this culture of innovation and exploration—we do more than deliver the latest technologies. We deliver the future. See for yourself. Look Inside.
As a IA Firmware / BIOS SW Engineer, you will work with Intel Shannon DCG/NPG Software development team to deliver leading edge enterprise and communications platforms that will enable tomorrow’s Data Centre infrastructure and accelerate cloud computing adoption from high-end co-processors for supercomputers to low-energy systems, as well as solutions for big data and intelligent devices.
You will be based in Shannon, Co. Clare, Ireland as a member of a talented team of software engineers with a broad range of experience. You will have the opportunity to collaborate with multi-site projects, working on cutting edge hardware. You will enjoy a world class work environment and you will be empowered to full fill your greatest ambitions.
As part of the IA firmware team, you will develop software that performs the primary initialization of IA based platforms prior to Operating System launch. You will work closely with Intel silicon design / platform / silicon validation teams and be responsible for firmware delivery during the entire life cycle of programs that produce the next generation of leading-edge Data Centre processors and chipsets.
You will participate in first silicon and new platform power-on events and provide post power-on support. Liaise with technical marketing teams to address and support issues raised by Independent BIOS Vendors (IBVs), Operating System Vendors (OSVs) and Tier 1 customers.
- Honours degree in Computer Engineering, Electronic Engineering or Computer Science.
- Minimum of 5 years software development experience.
- Excellent knowledge of C programming.
- Good understanding of Intel Architecture/x86 or other multi-core processor.
- Sound knowledge of OS architectures for Windows*, Linux* and/or Real Time Operating Systems
- Good system-level debugging skills.
- Good problem solving skills coupled with a strong aptitude to learn and innovate.
- Embedded software development.
- Discipline and maturity to develop quality deliverables at all stages of the software development life cycle.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work as part of a multisite team.
- Track record of innovation.
The following skills would be an advantage:
- Low Level Programming: Assembler.
- Experience with UEFI* and/or Tiano* cores and/or some experience with legacy BIOS cores from AMI* or Phoenix*.
- Experience with Simulation environments, e.g. WindRiver Simics.
- Experience with bootloaders such as Coreboot, U-Boot.
- Experience with Intel FSP (Firmware Support Package).
- Experience or knowledge in BIOS fields: Plug and Play, OptionROMs, memory algorithms, Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI).
- Familiarity with Jtag debuggers (e.g. Lauterbach) and logic analyzers
- Familiarity with Platform Schematics.
- Device driver design and development for PCI/PCIe devices and/or microcontrollers.
- OS Kernel development and debugging experience.
- Networking technologies e.g. Ethernet, TCP/IP.
- Security, Cryptography, Data compression.
- Virtualization technologies e.g. KVM, XEN, QEMU, VMWARE.
- Agile Software development methodology experience.
- Real-Time Software development
- Open Source Software Development.
- Source control management tools e.g. GIT.
- Customer facing.
What We Offer You
When you come to work at Intel, you come to work in a collaborative, supportive environment, where your equally brilliant colleagues will push you to be your best. There’s no fear of failure—we know that’s how innovation happens. And you’ll never be bored. We also offer:
- Competitive benefits and pay (including bonuses)
- Opportunities for professional development and continuing education
- The flexibility you need to achieve balance
Inside this Business Group
The Data Center Group (DCG) is at the heart of Intel’s transformation from a PC company to a company that runs the cloud and billions of smart, connected computing devices. The data center is the underpinning for every data-driven service, from artificial intelligence to 5G to high-performance computing, and DCG delivers the products and technologies—spanning software, processors, storage, I/O, and networking solutions—that fuel cloud, communications, enterprise, and government data centers around the world.