Customer Supply Services Manage
- Job Type
- Engineering Manager
What’s the opportunity?
This is a unique opportunity to work within a varied and challenging Customer Support environment. You will lead a small, but experienced Supply Team, which manages all the Spares and Repairs requirements of our global Customer base. Supply activities span all of our “in-service” products, which involves the provisioning and supply of Spares through to management of complex Repair(s) of major sub-systems. These activities involve working with Project Teams, Engineering, Manufacturing, and our Suppliers. The team places orders with Suppliers, provides quotations to Customers and accepts orders from Customers. Hence working collaboratively with many other functions involved in the process such as Commercial, Finance, Purchasing and Procurement to name just a few. There will also be opportunities to work with our international colleagues on some of our multinational projects, and also on some of our functional improvement programmes.
What will you be doing?
- Managing a team of buyers and expeditors in terms of sickness, absenteeism, performance and their learning and development.
- Helping to resolve daily problems and queries that arise, liaising and negotiating with internal project teams, our Customers and external suppliers.
- Helping the team to respond to Customer RFQ’s, generating and placing Purchase Orders with Suppliers.
- Generating Customer reports, and internal metrics using our current business systems (EFACS and MARS).
- Typical duties include conducting staff appraisals, attending bid meetings, generating estimates, attending risk reviews, cost at completion meetings, functional improvement workshops etc.
- Supply Chain Management – Maintain / Improve supplier performance, identify and implement cost reductions. Ensure quality levels are maintained at the appropriate level. Liaise with our Procurement and Supply Chain Management teams, ensuring best practice is applied to our business.
- Work with the Supply Team members and other functions (Eg. Information Management, Operations, Finance etc.), to help define and develop a new business system (Likely to be SAP), which will be used to manage our future Spares and Repairs business.
- Provide expert knowledge on subjects such as ReACH, ITAR, INCOTERMS and basic terms and conditions.
- Working collaboratively with our international colleagues, supporting Community of Interests which will entail European travel.
What are the benefits for you?
- This role will enable you to develop your team leadership and management skills.
- It will help you broaden your business acumen and commercial awareness, giving you an insight into the variety of support activities that MBDA provides to our Customers.
- It will give you the opportunity to work on some of the innovative Support Solutions being developed for the UK Customer, who is always striving for cost effective solutions.
- You will be involved in supporting all of our major projects from a Spares & Repairs perspective, which provides an interesting and challenging environment.
- You will have the opportunity to learn new skills, primarily through "on the job training", but some basic training courses may be provided, when new tools and techniques are needed.
- This role gives you the chance to develop your current skill set which could lead to more senior management positions, not just within Customer Support, but the whole Company.
- There may be opportunities to travel to Suppliers both within the UK and our European partner nations. You may need to travel to Italy or France to support functional improvement initiatives. You may need to attend Customer Meetings with our domestic Customer at various UK locations.
What’s great about joining this team?
- The Supply Team is a small but very experienced team (10 people) who can offer help and advice on most things relating to the Spares & Repairs business.
- The team pride themselves in delivering consistently good performance metrics, which are currently the best within the wider Supply Services Group.
- We have some very challenging CFA contracts and a demanding customer, who is always looking for flexible and innovative ways to maintain service and capability levels. In order to achieve this they need a dependable supply of reliable Spares and Repairs.
Who and what we are looking for from you?
- You will be a good team player with excellent interpersonal skills.
- You should have good communication skills both verbal and written.
- You should be able to analyse problems, consider possible solutions and use your experience and influencing skills to deliver a satisfactory solution.
- You should be qualified to at least HNC/HND level in an Engineering subject, but this will ideally be supported by some experience in Business Studies.
- It would be preferable if you had some experience in managing a small team, conducting appraisals, time and attendance administration etc.
- You will have some knowledge of Purchasing & Supply Management, ideally CIPS qualified, but not essential.
- It would be beneficial if you had previous knowledge of business systems such as EFACS and SAP.
- You will have a willing, helpful attitude and a calm professional manner, even when things are changed at the last minute.
- Knowledge of licensing laws, US Control regulations and typical purchase order terms is preferably.
Why you should come and work at MBDA
- MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and the United States
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA is Europe’s leading guided weapons company and with this in mind we continually look to broaden our existing talent base whilst maintaining a strategic edge, by exploiting new markets and new applications for our world-class technology base
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
What you would get
- Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)