Design Engineers - Interim and Permanent Contracts
Design Engineers at Cox Powertrain Ltd - Truly Making Waves
The Engineering professionals at Cox have one thing in common - they want to help put a world class example of British engineered excellence on the global stage. This is achieved by working in an environment where creative and conceptual thinking is both harnessed and encouraged. Being part of the team at Cox as they embark on the next phase of growth and expansion is a truly exciting prospect and we welcome applications from people who share our vision and values.
Visit www.coxmarine.com to view our employee profiles & testimonials and to gain a personalised insight into working in our business.
Your main responsibilities as a Design Engineer will involve:
- To work in conjunction with other design engineers, Lead and Principal engineers, to produce component and assembly designs which meet the required performance targets, in accordance with development schedules and company design standards
- To work as part of a cohesive team, ensuring the quality of output from the design team remains at the highest possible level. This may from time to time involve mentoring of junior design staff
- In line with the department’s drive for continuous improvement, contribute to the identification of technical shortcomings and implement design solutions as required.
- Preparation of component and assembly designs, in the form of 3D models, 2D technical drawings and other associated technical documentation, to address technical issues identified by a combination of real-world testing, analytical study and engineering judgement
- Preparation of design release packs including supporting evidence such as basic calculations to support key design decisions
- Close cooperation with other key technical stakeholders, including analysis, systems, and build & test to ensure the delivery of ‘right first time’, technically sound designs
- Ensuring one’s own designs meet company design guidelines and standards
- Effective application of sound engineering principles and one’s own experience to contribute to the determination of potential root causes for technical challenges, and to propose potential design solutions
Your skills and qualifications as a Design Engineer:
- Clear positive work ethic with a desire to work to get the job done rather than working to the clock
- Maintain an enthusiastic, positive, calm and accommodating approach to work and changing priorities
- A high level of attention to detail, with an aspiration to achieve technical excellence, believing in ‘good enough, is not good enough’.
- Commitment to the achievement of the company’s long-term business objectives
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in engineering or a relevant scientific discipline
Specific experience of:
- Internal combustion engine design
- Working within an environment of continuous and rapid technical change. A thorough technical understanding of core mechanical engineering principles, including:
- Material selection, heat treatment, manufacturing and processing knowledge, to include: forging, casting, injection moulding & vacuum forming, machining (including cutting, grinding & EDM) & rapid manufacturing
- Stress, strain, fatigue, creep, fretting, galling
- Bolted joints, Fluid bearings, oil/hydraulic systems, seals
- Basic tolerance analysis
- DFM&A / DFx
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to operate as part of a team, both within and outside of the Engineering department
- Strong 3D CAD skills using Siemens NX design package with excellence
- 2D technical drawing skills, and a thorough understanding of GD&T principles to produce drawings in accordance with BS8888, and the ISO GPS framework
- Sound documentation capabilities and experience with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint for example
- Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) software such as Teamcenter or Windchill Design, and development of gear train systems, hydraulic equipment including manifold, cylinder and/or total system design
- Design work within the marine industry, and as such – an appreciation of the unique challenges that marine service brings
What we're looking for in you:
You will be self-motivated, with good planning and organisational skills. You must also have excellent written and verbal communication skills, together with the ability to work well, both independently and as part of a team.
The Company - “The impossible made possible”
Cox Powertrain is a privately owned, well-funded, company. It has taken a clean sheet approach through its development programme to deliver diesel engine designs that combine innovation, with best engineering practice to develop patented technologies to unlock new levels of power density.
The company is an exciting place to work, where innovative and unusual ideas are actively encouraged. The business is rapidly growing, and as such – is the ideal environment for a candidate wishing to work in a business with opportunity for career progression, and to be involved in an industry-changing development from relatively early on.
Cox Powertrain Ltd is an equal opportunities employer. We value diversity and welcome applications from candidates from all backgrounds. Please note we will not use any personal information relating to your background at any stage of the application process.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter to our retained recruitment lead advisor, Richard Croft below. Please note all applications are treated in the strictest confidence and we will be more than happy to have an informal exploratory conversation to answer any questions you may have before applying. Please contact Richard Croft on 07717 894 343 (M) 01928 740 970 (O).
Apply for Design Engineers
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly