RF/Analogue/Digital Design Engineer RF/Microwave System
MBDA’s UK Seeker Division designs and develops state of the art RF and Dual Mode (RF and IR) seekers for use in guided missile programmes. An opportunity exists for a design engineer with broad skills in high frequency electronic design to take a central role in the design of high frequency electronic sub-assemblies. The role requires an engineer with good technical skills, a high degree of enthusiasm and a determination to deliver products to the right standard within the required timescales.
To design and develop high frequency electronic circuits and sub-assemblies for use in RF and IR Seeker applications. Performing test and integration activities in accordance with all relevant processes, standards and requirements.
Typical activities will include:
- The design and development of electronic circuits for use in sub-assemblies such as Frequency Synthesisers, High Frequency Amplifiers and Linearisers (a system which improves the non-linear behaviour of amplifiers/transmitter modules etc.)
- Testing of circuits and sub-assemblies
- Producing and maintaining test documentation associated with seeker hardware, including specifications, development test schedules and test result sheets.
- Participating in design reviews
- Supporting offsite trials of seekers in conjunction with the trials team, including using and troubleshooting trials installations at the trials site.
- Contributing to the industrialisation of seeker build and test, including liaison with the production facility
- Overseeing the transition of development hardware into series production, including development testing, qualification and production line proving.
- Contributing to “make/buy” decisions
- Providing support to Projects and to other Functions
- Supporting new business opportunities
- Carrying out technical investigations to provide data for problem assessment and design improvements and support development of solutions to technical issues
- Interfacing with internal customers
- Contributing to engineering team decisions
What's great about the role?
This role offers an opportunity to be part of a successful team working to develop state of the art seeker assemblies. The team consists of engineers from a wide variety of disciplines (systems, software, firmware, mechanical etc.). There are opportunities to progress within MBDA into technical management roles.
What’s great about joining this team?
- The Seeker Division within MBDA is responsible for undertaking the systems design, performance evaluation, integration, design verification and certification of RF Seeker sub-systems and multi-mode seekers.
- The seeker hardware team provides the design solutions to systems requirements including the build and test of these designs from concept to full scale production systems. They also interface with internal and external customers and suppliers on technical issues.
- The seeker hardware team have a proven track record in understanding and developing RF/microwave sub-systems to meet demanding customer needs and constantly develop new technologies aimed at improving the efficiency and effectiveness of our products.
Who and what we are looking for?
Ideally degree qualified (or equivalent) with the following skills and experience:-
- Technical Skills and Experience
- Knowledge and experience gained in radar or microwave design and development
- Knowledge of high frequency design tools e.g. Agilent ADS or HFSS
- Knowledge of microwave antennas and analogue electronic product design
- Ability to produce high quality written reports and presentations to internal and external customers
- Familiarity with radar and control systems and digital signal processing an advantage
- Ability to diagnose hardware problems using various methods; e.g. visual inspection, data analysis in design and production phases
- Experience of working with other teams including systems and manufacturing
- Other Skills and Experience
- Developed sense of commercial and financial awareness
- Ability to mentor and encourage less experienced staff by sharing knowledge
- Consistent ability to deliver required output within agreed timescales
- Willingness to learn about projects, tools & methods
- A persistence to get the job done
- Ability to build good working relationships with team members and external departments, suppliers and customers, acting as a team leader when required
- Familiarity with project control and reporting an advantage
- Ability to manage small /medium value projects within RF/microwave design areas
Why should you come and work for MBDA?
- MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and the United States
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA is Europe’s leading guided weapons company and with this in mind we continually look to broaden our existing talent base whilst maintaining a strategic edge, by exploiting new markets and new applications for our world-class technology base
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
What would you get?
- Competitive salaries, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)