Systems Capability Engineer
An opportunity has arisen to be part of the dynamic UK Systems Capability Department supporting the development of Systems Engineering Capability and providing Systems Engineering support to strategic change programmes and Complex Weapons development projects.
The role forms part of a small team responsible for understanding current and emerging Systems Engineering best practice, applying this knowledge appropriately in the context of MBDA’s development programmes, and supporting project teams and practitioners in the application of the appropriate methods. This includes the development of the overall competency profile of Systems Engineers across the System Design and Validation function.
Key individual responsibilities include:
- Providing in-project consultancy style support to key projects, in particular during their start-up phase, tailored to project needs to ensure maximum project benefit is obtained from best practice use
- Assessing core Systems Engineering techniques and developing/delivering process improvement and behavioural change to teams.
- Supporting implementation of international alignment on SE knowledge and expertise
- Ability to understand and implement MBSE (Model Based Systems Engineering) concepts into practising projects.
- Ensuring consideration of a full lifecycle approach to the design of weapon systems into project teams.
- Generation and delivery of training and education to material to project teams on a national and international level.
- Carry out investigations into a full range of problems, issues or developments and develop and prepare solutions, individually or as a member of a project team.
- Keep up to date in relevant technical areas, develop skills and capabilities to be able to provide more effective services (seeking and sharing good practice and knowledge to continuously improve practices), and supply technical support and expertise to others as required.
What’s in it for you?
As a key part of a small, fast-moving critical capability team this role:
- Provides opportunity to work closely with a variety of projects, functions and key stakeholders at all levels of the business.
- In addition, it provides opportunity to network with external professional bodies, peer organisations and academia.
- The role is UK based, but does involve collaborating with the international Head of MBE and teams in MBDA France, Italy, Spain and Germany, to share, leverage and implement coherent approaches. This will involve international meetings and may involve international travel.
- The successful candidate will have the opportunity to make a significant contribution to the strategic direction of Systems Engineering in the UK
What’s great about the team?
- Systems Capability UK is comprised of experienced professionals who have genuine passion and enthusiasm for Systems Engineering.They continually develop and readily share their knowledge and understanding of Systems Engineering methods and tools.
- The team have developed and continue to develop excellent working relationships with projects, other functions and key stakeholders across the business.
- The team have real impact on the delivery of critical strategic programmes such as the current MatriX programme which is delivering collaborative model-based engineering across the MBDA enterprise.
What are we looking for?
To be successful in this role the skills and knowledge required are:
- Systems Engineering Practitioner with up to date knowledge of issues in relevant specialist area(s) e.g. mechanical, electrical, software, Integrated Logistic Support (ILS), Human Factors (HF), control and analysis .
- A sound understanding of state of the art Systems Engineering methods and their application in the systems engineering domain.
- Experience of full lifecycle issues from concept through to disposal on major projects.
- Understanding of design for cost and the effect of through life cost issues.
- Capable of working autonomously and proactively, and Able to deal with multiple issues, tasks and priorities concurrently.
- Excellent communication skills are essential.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Ideally degree (or equivalent) in a relevant discipline plus significant relevant experience.
What would you get?
- Competitive salary, flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news. LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence)