Embedded Software Engineer - Startup
Brill Power, a start-up from the University of Oxford, is looking for an Embedded Software Engineer. This person will join a small team and report directly to the Head of Technology.
- Permanent role
- Full time
- Based in Oxford, UK
- Competitive salary, based on experience
- Candidates must have the legal right to work in the UK
About Brill Power
Brill Power is a spin-out company from the University of Oxford. We develop cutting-edge battery management technology to increase the lifetime of lithium-ion battery packs for grid-scale energy storage and electric vehicles. Our team is small and excited to grow.
Here’s what we’re about:
- Fun is essential to success: We love what we do. We think you should too.
- We are not alone: We share spaces, markets, geographies, and Earth’s resources with everyone around us. Acting in a fair and honest manner is how we work at Brill Power.
- We do cool stuff: We don’t make products that are the norm. We innovate and raise the bar on what is possible.
Your role will be to lead the embedded coding of our battery systems. Working closely with our Head of Technology, you will programme the microcontrollers for various elements of the Brill Power battery system. Your work will sit at the core of our first product.
If you are keen to develop new technologies and work in a dynamic field, this may be the role for you. You could be a graduate-level engineer with relevant research and programming experience or someone who has gained their experience on the job. If you fill the majority of the qualifications listed below and are excited to work on cutting-edge battery technology, we want to talk to you.
Main responsibilities will include:
- Design, develop and test new embedded software
- Support and enhance existing embedded software
- Analyse requirements and develop design alternatives
- Develop test software and procedures
- Generate complete and accurate user and design documentation
- Provide input to architecture, design and code reviews
- Provide input and evaluation of new technologies and products
- Keep current with embedded software trends and share knowledge
- Provide task breakdowns and accurate estimates for project planning
- Review and validation of software releases
- Assist in maintaining a positive and productive atmosphere within the team
- Liaise with customers and users of our systems
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with embedded programming and working at the register level using PWM modules, CAN Bus modules, UART modules, ADC modules.
- Testing and debugging hardware/software issues
- Experience programming in C/C++ and other languages
- Ability to read and interpret electrical schematics
- Education level: Engineering degree in electrical engineering or computer science
- Familiarity with version control systems
- 3+ years of experience working in companies or in a relevant research setting
You might have:
- Experience programming in Python
- Knowledge of the full development cycle
- Experience with customer implementation of product
- Experience with lab equipment:
- Electrical testing equipment such as power supplies and loads
Get in touch
Please send a CV and cover letter below clearly indicating where your past experience matches what we are looking for. Let us know what kind of work you are looking for.