Electrical Systems Engineer
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an Electrical Systems Engineer to join our team in Derby.
As an Electrical Systems Engineer you will be responsible for analysing, developing and demonstrating new electrical power system technologies for customers across all of our business sectors. You will contribute to the company's electrical systems technology strategy and coordinate research activities through our Electrical University Technology Partners in the UK and globally. You will be comfortable using systems engineering tools and methods and working from physical first principles.
Rolls-Royce Electrical (RRE) is part of Rolls-Royce Holdings plc having a global footprint that supports all operating product sectors including aerospace, nuclear, marine and land based applications. Current activities in RRE are focused heavily on turbo-electric propulsion, as well as supporting electrical power generation, energy storage, and electrical power distribution. Projects vary in scope but include concept architecture studies, modelling, simulation, prototype development and potentially full scale product demonstrators.
Innovation is in our DNA at Rolls-Royce. We develop integrated power and propulsion solutions that continually break new ground across multiple markets.
We deliver the best jet engines in the world. Through intelligent innovation and a collaborative approach, we're putting our customers at the forefront of the aviation industry - and we'll keep them there. Our product portfolio powers more than 35 types of commercial aircraft, and with over 13,000 engines in-service around the world, we're keeping the world flying.
- Identify, develop, and implement innovative technology solutions in the areas of power generation and distribution.
- Develop clear, comprehensive product specifications and performance requirements with input as necessary from mechanical, electrical and systems teams as well as partners and suppliers as appropriate
- Work with appropriate team members to develop a complete power system solution.
- Develop, implement and validate power systems and sub-systems that integrate electrical machines operating in both generation and motoring applications, involve AC-AC / AC-DC and DC-DC conversion stages that will connect to a grid and/or other loads
- Support Product and Technology reviews in accordance with the relevant in-house processes
- Laboratory testing of experimental systems with hardware or hardware-in-the-loop (HIL).
- Experienced in the use of system level analysis tools such as PSPICE, MATLAB/SIMULINK, Paladin etc, hands-on experience of working with both COTS and prototype electrical hardware.
- Experience of protection and control of electrical power systems, awareness of different electrical machine, power converter and other electrical systems components including understanding of the benefits and limitations of each.
- Awareness of appropriate national, sector and international design standards Lead and support design activities with a focus on meeting all technical and performance requirements, whilst maintaining a focus on design for manufacture and cost effective design solutions
- Experience in writing technical documents such as hardware requirements and specifications, product design specifications, test specifications, schematic, board level design details etc.
- Proven ability to apply theory into practical designs for electric machines and associated components, ideally with experience of working in an electrical test rig environment and must be familiar with safe electrical working procedures.
- Awareness of safety and reliability methods as applied to novel systems concepts (e.g FHA, DFMEA, HAZOP analysis)
- Qualifications minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent and significant experience in designing electrical power systems including some of the following: inverters, energy storage devices, generators, drives, powertrains, motors, earthing and protection, cabling requirements
- We offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include bonus, childcare vouchers, employee support assistance and employee discounts.
Create the next generation of innovation. Join us and you'll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for its excellence and innovation.
Trusted to deliver excellence.
We are an equal opportunities employer.