Power Electronics Engineer
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Power Electronics Engineer to join our team in Derby.
As a Power Electronics Engineer you will be responsible for identifying, developing, and implementing innovative technology solutions in the areas of power generation and distribution.
Rolls-Royce Electrical (RRE) is part of Rolls-Royce Holdings plc having a global footprint that supports all operating product sectors including aerospace, nuclear,marine and land based applications. Current activities in RRE are focused heavily on turbo-electric propulsion, as well as supporting electrical power generation, energy storage, and electrical power distribution. Projects vary in scope but include concept architecture studies, modelling, simulation, prototype development and potentially full scale product demonstrators.
Innovation is in our DNA at Rolls-Royce. We develop integrated power and propulsion solutions that continually break new ground across multiple markets.
To ensure we remain at the forefront of our industry, Rolls-Royce has a team of over 16,500 engineers around the globe. They include everyone from world experts in their field to those who manage hundreds of people and millions of pounds worth of investments. We recruit engineers at all levels and in a range of disciplines. And while we encourage specialisation, we also offer options to cross-specialise and develop skills across a number of different areas.
- Develop clear, comprehensive product specifications and performance requirements with input as necessary from mechanical, electrical and systems teams as well as partners and suppliers as appropriate
- Development of control techniques and control algorithms for electric machinery and power electronics.
- Lead and support design activities with a focus on meeting all technical and performance requirements, whilst maintaining a focus on design for manufacture and cost effective design solutions
- Laboratory testing of experimental systems with hardware or hardware-in-the-loop (HIL).
- Develop, implement and validate power systems and sub-systems that integrate electrical machines operating in both generation and motoring applications, involve AC-AC / AC-DC and DC-DC conversion stages that will connect to a grid and/or other loads
- Independent technical review of ongoing projects
- Experienced in the use of system level analysis tools such as PSPICE, MATLAB/SIMULINK, Paladin etc.
- Deep understanding of electrical power systems and components (electric machines / power electronics). Experience utilizing Thyristor, IGBT, MOSFET, and related power components of various semiconductor types
- Qualifications minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent and significant experience in designing electrical power systems including some of the following: inverters, energy storage devices, generators, drives, powertrains, motors, and related. Chartered Engineer status preferred; otherwise applicants should be working towards Chartership with a relevant professional institution
- Good knowledge in power converter topologies and controls
- Experience in writing technical documents such as hardware requirements and specifications, product design specifications, test specifications, schematic, board level design details etc.
- Excellent communication skills (i.e., verbal, written, and presentation) for both expert and non-expert audiences and ability to meet aggressive reliability, performance, cost, serviceability, and delivery targets
We offer excellent development prospects, along with a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include bonus, childcare vouchers, employee support assistance and employee discounts.
Create the next generation of innovation. Join us and you'll develop your skills and expertise to the very highest levels, working in an international environment for a company known the world over for its excellence and innovation.
Trusted to deliver excellence.
We are an equal opportunities employer.